Friday, February 4, 2011

Taking Time

Beautiful seafood meal tonight with friends that I have not seen since last March.
The meal was incredible a selection of raw fish paired with cherries, pistachios and Jerusalem artichokes. R has been a friend of mine for over twenty years I met him when he recently arrived from France. In the last two years I have stepped back from our friendship due to his increasing drinking at his parties. Once he has a few under his belt the insults could begin and resentments boil. But there are many things I do like about him which include his humor and generosity. Tonight he didn't drink as much as in the past. I enjoyed talking to him and he asked a few questions about AA and Alanon.

I dont go into detail about the programs I let it speak through my example of living.
He mentioned they drink too much. I looked at him and listened. Sometimes the best gift I can give is to listen with my heart. If I take care of myself I can also help others by my example.
I eat well, rest and exercise. It feels odd giving myself some praise. Just for today I can
enjoy the moment with friends.

1 comment:

Syd said...

I don't talk about Al-Anon to friends. Few people really understand what it even means that aren't affected by alcoholism. Many get it confused with AA! I like letting my behavior be an example of the program.

Annie

Annie