Saturday, March 24, 2012

Moments

Feeling relaxed this morning getting ready for my day to begin. Tea in hand, glasses on board and a key board at my fingertips.
The rain falls steady I hear the passing cars splash puddles. My neighbor reads at his kitchen table. This morning I am enough hoping to carry this message into the day. At this moment I try to stay here with myself...

I will meet with my sponsee at the hostel. She is beginning her fourth step. B is willing but hesitant to work on her life. But she continues to show up and do the footwork. I admire her tenacity it also takes love and kindness toward ourselves to go into the dark forest.

Characteristic of Dante's way of working, this "dark wood" is a product of the poet's imagination likely based on ideas from various traditions. These include the medieval Platonic image of chaotic matter--unformed, unnamed--as a type of primordial wood (silva); the forest at the entrance to the classical underworld (Hades) as described by Virgil (Aeneid 6.179); Augustine's association of spiritual error (sin) with a "region of unlikeness" (Confessions 7.10); and the dangerous forests from which the wandering knights of medieval Romances must extricate themselves. In an earlier work (Convivio 4.24.12), Dante imagines the bewildering period of adolescence--in which one needs guidance to keep from losing the "good way"--as a sort of "meandering forest" (erronea selva).

Gratitude
1. For my home it is warm and dry
2. The city I live has given me a gift of free health care-this has allowed me to look at my migraines without fear of the costs
3. Y he tries his best I hope to love him more where he is at
4. This moment
5. My program has helped me create a spiritual path

1 comment:

Syd said...

I wonder at how the fourth step brings such fear. Yet, by doing it, the fourth step frees us.

Annie

Annie