Friday, February 26, 2010

What others think of me is none of my business

This week has been calm. Tonight I had a meeting with several peers involving our project.
It irritated me when one man spoke to me as if I was his student. In reality I have much more experience in this field
and I felt he was patronizing. In fact the whole event annoyed me. We won an award which was a residency and were told our concept was pushed through by a couple of individuals.

The chief administrator was to give us advice although the few times we called we never heard back from her. Apparently she wasn't the one who wanted our project to win.
We kept our mouths shut hoping to gain some notoriety by the fact we acquired this residency.
A letter was drafted for our records to use as a reference.
When I left the meeting I wanted to scream, running out of the room. It hasn't been a rewarding experience for me.

On many levels I felt a certain disrespect from the administrator and the organization she works for. In the past this organization has irritated me and not much has changed. You don't go to the hardware store for milk. In other words they have been a thorn for me and continue to cause discomfort. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Gratitude
1. HP will be there for me no matter what happens
2. My pasta tonight was good and it cost so little
3. 12 steps are a key to my inner life
4. What others think of me is none of my business

God asks no man whether he will accept life. That is not the choice. You must take it. The only choice is how.
Henry Ward Beecher

2 comments:

Wait. What? said...

I heard this once in a meeting and it was the best thing I could have heard that day. Ever since then, I make it my mantra when I feel those dark thoughts creep into my head about what someone said about me or a strange look.

It helps!

Syd said...

I think I know the feelings that you are having. But I can't control what others do or what they think. I can control how I handle situations though. Glad that you got the award!

Annie

Annie