Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"take a step back"

Long day today very tired tonight. On my way to a meeting I turned around and went home to rest instead.
This was taking care of myself. In the past I treated meetings as compulsively as I did everything else in my life. This is how I still have to do it sometimes even today I go and go and don't stop. When I sit with myself in meditation my mind has an edge filled with anxiety. It is comforting to be able to see my spin and not get caught in the struggle.
Feeling ok to let go and trust HP has a plan for me tonight

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-courage-be-present/201007/working-mindfully-anxiety

The second way we addressed her anxiety was to deal with those scary thoughts and to recognize that they were just thoughts. She was able to "take a step back" and witness the process of thinking. This is often very helpful to clients (and to anyone else): recognizing that thoughts are thoughts and then not particularly "buying them." Especially pernicious for Claire were habitual self-critical thoughts: "I shouldn't be such a baby; pull yourself together!" Most of the time we believe that our thoughts are a true representation of reality. Buddhism teaches us to question that. So, Claire watched as thoughts arose and dissolved and practiced not getting caught up in them. This brought some relief as well.


No comments:

Annie

Annie