Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life

In the past many of us learned to make choices strictly on the basis of our feelings, as if feelings were facts.
Part of Alanon recovery involves learning that feelings arent facts. I am a complex fascinating human being with a wide range
of emotions, experiences and thoughts. There is more to my identity than one feeling or another, one problem or another. I am a wealth of contradictions. I can value all of my feelings without letting them dictate my actions.

Today I can feel anger toward someone and still love them. I can feel afraid of new experiences, yet move forward through them.
I can survive being hurt without giving up on love. And I can experience sadness and still be confident that I will be happy again.

This reading says so much to me. Alanon allows me to experience a new freedom and happiness.
In the past feelings meant so much to me although I was frozen and could not feel most of them. It has taken years to unearth how I feel in some areas. Slowly more is revealed.

I am alive, I have this precious human life. I am not going to waste it. Dalai Lama

1 comment:

Syd said...

I understand so much more about my feelings now. But I was so unconscious before. I walked around in a state of readiness for the next disaster to happen--not enjoying life at all.

Annie

Annie