Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Buddhism and 12 steps

Had a wonderful dinner with Y. I used to make a dinner every night but lately have slacked off cooking. But when I do cook with fresh vegies it tastes good I enjoy it.
I am studying with a Buddhist teacher around the 12 steps. She is a very caring, considerate person. This is a gift of the program being a part of her group. When I first met her I liked her right off we share alot of similar experiences. I had to ask her three times before she finally agreed to be my teacher. Three is some odd number used in Zen practice.

We are reading a Pema Chodron's book No Time to Loose, The Way of the Bodhisattva and then have discussion. There are four in the group the other 2 women have a long history of being friends. There is a triangulation although the teacher tries to take this into consideration.
We do 12 step shares. I cried during my share thinking of my relationship with my mother.
They were there for me. It felt good to know these women..

Today I practiced my meditation to ease me through the day. I counted my breathe
then lost concentration. Making mistakes and admitting this is freeing. Just like working the steps admitting our errors. Suzuki Roshi calls meditation "one continuous mistake".
We go off the breath and then come back. "In our daily lives as well as our meditation practice
we try to cultivate the same attitude of watching the mistakes arise with acceptance and kindness." Kevin Griffin

Gratitude
HP is there for me even on the dark days
Feeling good right now love to blog
Happy to have my life



2 comments:

Lex.Illuminated said...

Oh! I want to hear so much more about this! I really wish I could find someone to help me with the 12steps from a Buddhist perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Syd said...

It sounds good to me. I am glad that you have a study group.

Annie

Annie