Sunday, July 17, 2011

Teachings are everywhere

Beautiful day today the sun lasted till 8:30P ...It began with fog and ended with golden rays.
That is the beauty of life it can end in ways I can't even fathom.

A friend stayed with me this week from Nashville. We were good friends and have remained so over the years. She pursued her music career and I followed film. Her boyfriend broke up with her leaving her with a broken heart or should I say withdrawing from her fix. It was difficult watching her go through crying fits along with self pity bouts. In all of her madness I tried to stay present for me and still have compassion for her struggles. I watched her, a woman now in her fifties act even crazier today in relationships than she did in her thirties. The Alanon disease has progressed as it does with time if untreated. HP is always with her, when she is ready the program will be there.

As she was driving fifty miles an hour down the freeway wailing, a sponsee called me. I answered the phone listening to someone who works a program.
God works in mysterious ways. It was just what I needed to hear grounding me into the moment.

Hoping that my old friend can show up for herself and work a program. I can not force her into recovery but I have benefited greatly from this commitment made in my life. What can I do to help take care of her it to take care of myself. People learn from my example when they are ready to see it.

"Today I will keep my hands off and keep my focus where it belongs , on me"
In All Out Affairs

"Buddhas teaching is everywhere. Teaching is in each moment in every existence"
Suzuki Roshi

1 comment:

Syd said...

I think that severing the co-dependency ties to another is one of the most painful things. It is like a death, filled with grieving. And it is like a junkie trying to wean off the most powerful drug. Once the hooks are planted in place, we are reeled in on an emotional tide. Being cut loose is bewildering. I hope that your friend is able to move on soon. This too will pass in time.

Annie

Annie