Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Peace

Today I felt ill at ease, sad really. A dear friend's husband passed away after a long battle with cancer. They live down the street, I have dropped by spending time with her family.
Such sadness fills her eyes. She has many friends stop by during the day dropping off food.
Her brothers in law have surrounded her. I watch them down cocktails on every visit.
They look so well put together why do they need to drink so much?
This is where I keep the focus on myself. What they do is none of my business.
It saddens me to think they have to check out in life.

With my sadness it is a good opportunity to become more mindful. Watch where I try to hide out when feelings come up for me.
Recently I looked up the word Equanimity which is often used in Buddhist teachings.
Equanimity is a state of mental or emotional stability or composure arising from a deep awareness and acceptance of the present moment.
Just for today I will try to be present and not run from my feelings.

No one can bring your peace but yourself.
Emerson

1 comment:

Syd said...

I am sorry for your friend. It is hard to get through those first stages of grief.

Annie

Annie