Sunday, November 3, 2013

Floating blue dress

Went to visit several Day of the Dead altars. A couple of them stood out and brought up memories from my past. One was in tribute to an African American dressmaker. The altar was composed of a beautiful blue dress floating from the ceiling with patterns from her past projects creating the background. I remember sewing with my mother and grandmother. We had a large jar filled with buttons from my great grandmother. I would play for hours with these simple pieces. Our times sewing were often quiet and engaging a rarity in our Alcoholic home.
 It is ok today to bring up some of the past as long as I don't get caught in the sadness and pain.
Alanon has given so much to me. I am grateful for my life today.
One day at a time.


1 comment:

Syd said...

I have my mother's button box. It is something that we treasure. And yes, it is good to not close the door on the past. I remember but bring myself back to the present.

Annie

Annie